Sunday, July 6, 2014


It is Sunday morning and [take note] I am writing from the RV Park in Tusayan, just outside the entrance to the Grand Canyon Park.  

Yesterday we had a good day of taking photos around the area of Mather Point, although we were surrounded by tourists from home and abroad.  Everyone who passed us by seemed to be speaking French, Italian, German, Japanese, and even English with various kinds of accents.  As we offered to take photos for some folks who wanted both parties in the picture, we usually had to resort to hand signals to speak.  We hadn't experienced this degree of diversity since we camped in Yosemite years ago.   The photo is of Mather Point and as you can see it is very crowded near the edge where everyone is trying to achieve some sort of photographic immortality by capturing each other on film.  While Allan and I were there at the railing, I was shoved to the side by a foreign "gentleman" who needed to have his picture taken.  If there hadn't been a railing, I would now be scrambled on the canyon below.  
These young Japanese girls were going through numerous contortions in order to get all four of them in the same shot, until I came to their rescue and then had to take shots of them from each of four smartphones.   Although the scenery was breathtaking, sometimes it was the tourist antics which captured the spirit of the place.  They were all so thrilled to be there.  

After a short snack and nap back at the campsite, we decided to head back over to the rim near El Tovar in order to get some sunset photos.  
We got there and set up some chairs along the rim wall and took leisurely photos as the sun dropped behind the clouds and rain fell among the lightning strikes on the North Rim across the canyon.  We were sitting just adjacent to Hopi House and we took photos accompanied by live flute music provided by the volunteers at Hopi House.   The music was extremely beautiful and mirrored the natural surroundings with songs sounding like little birds and other songs that seemed to be synchronized with the movement of the clouds across the canyon sky.  
However, when we got back to the rv in the campground, our refrigerator warning light had come on and would not be cajoled into behaving.  Allan finally had to start the generator at 9:00 pm (which probably made all our neighbors hate us) in order to have the fridge operate again, but on A/C.  After a half hour, we decided to turn off the generator to spare our fellow campers and the fridge seemed to settle down, but we were awakened at 3 in the morning by a warning beep and flashing light coming from the fridge.  We had no choice but to turn it off and hope for the best come morning.  
By 5 in the morning Allan had decided to move to an rv park with hookups in order not to lose all of the food in the fridge.  So we hooked up the rv to the truck and were in the new campground by 6 this morning where I happily plugged in all of the chargers, turned on the fridge to a/c, and set the coffee perking.   As Allan took the registration card over to the office he got a photo of an elk in the rv park, I guess they prefer hookups too.

No comments:

Post a Comment